ISaGRAF 5.1 – Significant Updates to Award-Winning Automation Software
Montreal, Canada - November 15, 2006 -
ICS Triplex ISaGRAF Inc., the leading automation software partner is pleased to announce the release of ISaGRAF version 5.1. ISaGRAF 5 is the world’s first commercially-available IEC 61499 automation software.
The rapid adoption of IEC 61499 is a clear indication of the needs that are being addressed by this new standard. Developed by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), IEC 61499 presents guidelines for the use of function blocks to control and manage distributed industrial process, measurement and control systems.
This latest version of the ISaGRAF IEC 61131-3 and IEC 61499-compliant technology takes the concept of IEC 61499 one step further. Some of the key enhancements are listed below:
- IEC 61499: Composite functions blocs (embedded objects) are now designed graphically. This allows the building of composite function blocks by encapsulating existing function blocks with the function block diagram editor.
- The product library now includes IEC 61499 Service Interfaces (SI) for IXL access and Holobloc. They can be used in an application to read or write variable values from any ISaGRAF controller or Holobloc system.
- The firmware has been successfully used with the latest hardware platforms including the Motorola Coldfire 5272 and the Hitachi H8 Processor, in addition to other popular hardware platforms such as Motorola 68302, Intel x86, Beck DK40 @ chip, and Motorola PowerPC, under operating systems such as Win32, QNX, CE, Linux, CMX, RTXC, DOS, etc.
About IEC 61499
The IEC 61499 standard provides a number of significant benefits to distributed applications including:
IEC 61499 also has the ability to encapsulate automation functionality such that machine builders can create IEC 61499 function blocks for different components of the machine and only need to assemble them to achieve the desired operation. It provides the benefits of object-oriented programming in an environment accessible to automation engineers.
- the regulation of the flow of control decisions for an interacting distributed control system
- providing for the consistency of data
- providing a means to ensure synchronous operation between devices
- eliminating the need to have separate synchronization schemes
- easing the development and maintenance of robust control systems
About ISaGRAF 5
ISaGRAF 5 offers unparalleled functionality and benefits by incorporating both the IEC 61131-3 and IEC 61499 standards. With ISaGRAF 5, users have the ability to build traditional control systems where the interactions between devices are automatically regulated and synchronized by the IEC 61499 function block diagrams rather than through the use of manually-implemented algorithms. Using ISaGRAF 5, any field device manufacturer has the ability to turn their equipment into an IEC 61499 product. For example, intelligent flow meters can act as a regulator and control a valve while being part of an integrated distributed control system.
This revolutionary automation software has won several prestigious awards, including the Control Engineering Editor’s Choice Award, Mesures Magazine’s technology award for innovative products, and the Leonard Grand Prize in Innovation award at the Automation Optimation tradeshow in Paris.
About ICS Triplex ISaGRAF
ICS Triplex ISaGRAF, a privately-held company with offices in Canada and France, is the world’s leading automation software partner. The company’s flagship product ISaGRAF is fully compliant with both IEC 61499 and IEC 61131 industrial standards and can be used to build a variety of automation products including embedded controllers, DCS, PLCs, RTUs, CNCs and motion controllers. ISaGRAF sustains a high level of standardization, integration and communication within modern automation systems, resulting in high-end, real-time open control systems with crash-proof reliability, powerful performance and flexibility.
ICS Triplex ISaGRAF is a subsidiary of UK-based ICS Triplex plc.